Sunday, January 2, 2011

January 2011 "Photo of the Month"



Instead of a clean white blanket of snow in winter, lowcountry photographers are challenged with fully exposed, dead marsh grasses in their scenic landscapes.  While not as exciting at first glance, this monochromatic palette of muted earth tones, textures and blue sky can offer a lovely palette of complementary colors. This image is the featured image for January in my Lowcountry 2011 calendar.

I learned in my photographic schooling that everything in the right light is worth investigation. So during the coldest time of year, I  sometimes drag myself out early morning like this rare freeze in search of frosty landscapes.  I bring my ladder along for the long view, my tool for elevating my perspective.  The ladder allows me to capture more foreground resulting in increased depth of field in the final composition.    


 

PHOTO TIP: Landscape images need special attention. When the entire image is in focus, each element must be a meaningful part of the whole and well lit.  Everything inside the frame needs to support the subject. You will not want your water scenic ruined by telephone lines, trash cans, signs etc. unless it’s your subject. Take the time to study what you want inside and outside the viewfinder, then check it out at different times of day. Move your camera position, change your lens, re-compose what is in the frame.  When you’re back home reviewing your catch, the images you end up keeping and sharing with others, will likely be those with more of your thoughtful consideration.

To view additional images or learn more about Lowcountry Wildlife Photo Safaris, please visit us at www.southernlight.biz.   

No comments:

Post a Comment